SOAP (Simple Object Access Protocol) is a protocol that allows different web services to communicate with each other, regardless of the operating systems on which they are run.
The use of web services has dramatically changed web application architecture. Traditionally, each web application executed all the tasks it needed, such as logic processing, data storage, and presentation. With the widespread use of web services, web applications mostly take care of presentation, while data processing and business logic are handled via APIs calls.
For web services to communicate, they can use SOAP or REST. SOAP is based on XML to facilitate data exchange over HTML. It allows clients to use whatever web services they want, regardless of language and platform. It also minimizes the need for extreme development effort.
Web services perform their functions in the background. Because of this, their security is often overlooked. However, they can prove a fruitful attacking ground for cybercriminals.
Once the scan is completed, all web services (SOAP) are listed under the Web Services (SOAP) node in the Knowledge Base. You can access the same information in the Knowledge Base Report and Knowledge Base Tab.
Invicti forms Knowledge Base nodes upon its findings. If the Web Services (SOAP) Node is not listed, it means that Invicti did not find any.
For further information, see Knowledge Base Nodes.
How to View the Web Services (SOAP) Node in Invicti Enterprise
- Log in to Invicti Enterprise.
- From the main menu, click Scans, then Recent Scans. The Recent Scans window is displayed.
- Next to the relevant website, click Report.
- From the Technical Report section, click the Knowledge Base tab.
- Click the Web Services (SOAP) node. The information is displayed in a Web Services (SOAP) tab.
How to View the Web Services (SOAP) Node in Invicti Standard
- Open Invicti Standard
- Start a Scan or open a previously saved scan.
- The Knowledge Base is displayed on the right of the Scan Summary Dashboard. (If it is hidden, display it again using the Knowledge Base icon on the View tab on the ribbon. Alternatively, click the Reset Layout icon on the View tab, then close the Activity/Progress/Logs panes to give maximum viewing space.)
- Ensure that the Knowledge Base Viewer is also displayed. (If it is hidden, you can display it again using the Knowledge Base Viewer button on the View tab. You may also want to close the Activity/Progress/Logs panes.)
- Click the Web Services (SOAP) node in the Knowledge Base. All detected Web Services (SOAP) are displayed in the Knowledge Base Viewer.