URL rewrite rules enable web application developers to turn long, inconvenient URLs into friendly (readable) web addresses. It is also an SEO strategy that helps improve a website's search ranking.
URL rewrite rules use server-side configuration to redirect difficult to remember and read web addresses into an understandable format.
Here's an example:
- Before rewriting the URL, it could have looked like this: https://www.example.com/read_news.php?catID=9&newsID=291
- After rewriting it, it could look like this: https://example.com/economy/covid-19-hit-the-tourism-291.
By default, Invicti security scanners heuristically identify URL rewrites in the target website (see URL Rewrite Rules).
The URL Rewrite node in the Knowledge Base panel includes tables with information on the URL rewrite settings and the URL rewrite rules matched in the target application.
Once the scan is completed, all URL rewrite information is listed under the URL Rewrites node in the Knowledge Base. You can access the same information in the Knowledge Base Report and Knowledge Base Tab.
Invicti forms Knowledge Base nodes on its findings. If the URL Rewrite node is not listed, it means that Invicti could not find any information.
For further information, see Knowledge Base Nodes.
How to View the URL Rewrite Node in Invicti Enterprise
- Log in to Invicti Enterprise.
- From the main menu, click Scans, then Recent Scans. The Recent Scans window is displayed.
- Next to the relevant website, click Report.
- From the Technical Report section, click the Knowledge Base tab.
- Click the URL Rewrite node. The information is displayed in a URL Rewrite tab.
How to View the URL Rewrite Node in Invicti Standard
- Open Invicti Standard
- Start a Scan or open a previously saved scan.
- The Knowledge Base is displayed on the right of the Scan Summary Dashboard. (If it is hidden, display it again using the Knowledge Base icon on the View tab on the ribbon. Alternatively, click the Reset Layout icon on the View tab, then close the Activity/Progress/Logs panes to give maximum viewing space.)
- Ensure that the Knowledge Base Viewer is also displayed. (If it is hidden, you can display it again using the Knowledge Base Viewer button on the View tab. You may also want to close the Activity/Progress/Logs panes.)
- Click the URL Rewrite node in the Knowledge Base. All detected URL Rewrite information is displayed in the Knowledge Base Viewer.