Cybercriminals take advantage of every opportunity to attack web platforms and internet users. Normally, file extensions are considered as a safe area. However, attackers can exploit file upload issues and upload a malicious file to websites. This can spread malware or exploit zero-days and other browser-based vulnerabilities.
It is critical to know which file extensions are served from the target application to help mitigate attacks.
Once the scan is completed, all file extensions are listed under the File Extensions node in the Knowledge Base. You can access the same information in the Knowledge Base Report and Knowledge Base Tab.
Invicti forms Knowledge Base nodes on its findings. If the External CSS Files node is not listed, it means that Invicti did not find any.
For further information, see Knowledge Base Nodes.
How to View the File Extensions Node in Invicti Enterprise
- Log in to Invicti Enterprise.
- From the main menu, click Scans, then Recent Scans. The Recent Scans window is displayed.
- Next to the relevant website, click Report.
- From the Technical Report section, click the Knowledge Base tab.
- Click the File Extensions node. The information is displayed in a Firle Extensions tab.
How to View the File Extensions Node in Invicti Standard
- Open Invicti Standard
- Start a Scan or open a previously saved scan.
- The Knowledge Base is displayed on the right of the Scan Summary Dashboard. (If it is hidden, display it again using the Knowledge Base icon on the View tab on the ribbon. Alternatively, click the Reset Layout icon on the View tab, then close the Activity/Progress/Logs panes to give maximum viewing space.)
- Ensure that the Knowledge Base Viewer is also displayed. (If it is hidden, you can display it again using the Knowledge Base Viewer button on the View tab. You may also want to close the Activity/Progress/Logs panes.)
- Click the File Extensions node in the Knowledge Base. All detected File Extensions are displayed in the Knowledge Base Viewer.